Wednesday 16 May 2012

Tutorial Two: Occupational Engagement, Doing, Being, Becoming, Belonging

Arts for Health- Art and Craft as rehabilitation
I chose this occupation as I had an active role in observing, facilitating and participating in it during my time at Arts for Health in fieldwork 2. Arts and crafts are used at Arts for Health as a way of rehabilitation and therapy in adults who are ill. Many deal with mental illness, arthritis and some even cancer. I was involved in helping the service users enjoy and participate in Art and Craft meaningful to them.
Here is a picture presentation I have made to show this occupation:Pio presentation1
View more presentations from Shan7433.


Today 'occupation' can be interpreted in many different ways by different professions. To me occupation is doing, becoming and being. Rowles (1991) states: "In recent decades, occupational therapy has tended to emphasize knowing and doing as focal concerns" (p.265). This is very important to me as I feel knowing and doing are very important in today's occupational therapy practice. 


Do is defined as: " To perform or execute" (The Free Dictionary, 2012). Wilcock (1998) states: "Doing or not doing are powerful determinants of well-being or disease" (p.249). 


Be is defined as: "To exist in actuality; have life or reality" (The Free Dictionary, 2012).


Become is defined as: "To grow or come to be" (The Free Dictionary, 2012).

Belong is defined as: "To be a part of something else" (The Free Dictionary. 2012).


The pictures in my picture presentation all represent these concepts as in each one someone is doing an activity, being involved in the activity, becoming better at the activity and belonging to the art group or the world of art and craft. A good example of this is Figure 7.


There were three ethical considerations I had to think about when making this presentation. The first was that I did not include the face's of my model or the pictures from my placement, this was for privacy as i have put them on the internet here. The second was that I did not disclose any names of clients. And finally the third was that I made sure none of the pictures were offensive to anyone or any culture/religion. 


I hope you enjoy my pictures :)






Reference List


Rowles, G.D. (1991). Beyond performance: Being in place as a component of occupational therapy.  American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 45, 265-271.


Wilcock, A.A. (1998b).  Reflections on doing, being becoming.  Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 65, 248-256. 


Farlex, . (2012). In The free dictionary by farlex. Retrieved May 17, 2012, from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment